Are you struggling with a build-up of weeds or out-of-control grass? A string trimmer, or weed eater, is the perfect solution for clearing out messy overgrowth and tidying up unruly grass. So in this article, we will be sharing our top picks and reviews for the best corded electric string trimmers in 2022.
Not only does a corded electric weed eater help you manage your yard efficiently, but it is also eco-friendly as it doesn’t emit any fumes. But with so many different models out there, how do you find the right corded string trimmer for your needs?
To help you, we’ve researched and evaluated a wide range of electric trimmers to bring you the best ones available. In addition to reviewing each model, we’ve also included the top benefits, what’s missing or could be better, and what each one is best suited for.
So let’s take a look. You’re sure to find one that’s perfect for you!
What's In This Article
- Our Top 6 Best Corded Electric String Trimmers Reviewed
- So What’s the Best Corded String Trimmer for You?
- Buyer’s Guide
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Final Thoughts
Our Top 6 Best Corded Electric String Trimmers Reviewed
1. Craftsman CMESTE920 (Best Overall)
First up, we have the Craftsman CMESTE920, which is an excellent choice for most yards. This corded electric string trimmer is versatile, practical, and simple to use and will clear out weeds and grass without any problems.
Its 6.5 amp motor has plenty of power to cut through tough weeds and overgrowth, and you can easily adjust it to an edger to tidy up the edges of your lawn.
In addition, it comes with two replacement string spools, so there’s no risk of running out any time soon.
- A strong 6.5 amp motor can easily cut through tough weeds and overgrowth
- Comes with 2 extra spools to keep you going for longer
- Telescopic pole for hard-to-reach areas
- Easy to switch to an edger with a wheel for added support
- Feed system lets you control the line with a single button push
- Trimmer line can sometimes get jammed
- Extension cords might not fit, so check for the appropriate type of extension plug
Is It For You?
The Craftsman CMESTE920 is a great overall performer and will suit anyone wanting to maintain their garden. If you’re looking for an electric trimmer that does the job and does it well, this is an excellent choice for you. Just bear in mind that you may need to get a new extension cord if your yard is on the larger side.
- 6.5 amp motor - high performance to tackle tough overgrowth
- Ergonomic telescoping pole - featuring turn to edge...
- Push button feed system - allowing you to control the line...
2. Sun Joe TRJ13STE (Best On A Budget)
The Sun Joe TRF13STE Automatic Feed String Trimmer is perfect for lawn maintenance on a budget. But don’t let the low price and simple design fool you; this trimmer is more than enough to keep your yard neat and tidy.
Its handle is ergonomic and adjustable, and it comes with a 2-year warranty if there are any hiccups. However, this trimmer can get heavy over time, so it’s best for smaller yards that won’t take all day to trim.
- The adjustable handle is comfortable and ergonomic
- 2-year warranty
- Wide 13-inch cutting swath with a flower guard
- Goes through string quickly
- Without a strap it can get heavy and bulky over time
Is It For You?
If you’re looking for a basic but effective trimmer that doesn’t break the bank, the Sun Joe TRF13STE is perfect for you. While simple and without any flashy add-ons, this trimmer will get the job done. And if you have a smaller yard or a flower garden that you want to keep looking pristine, this is perfect.
- Questions, Text 563563 to chat directly with a Sun Joe...
- POWERFUL: 4-amp motor
- CUTTING SWATH: 13-inch maximum
3. Black + Decker MTE912 (Best Premium Product)
If you’re looking for a trimmer that doesn’t hold back on the flash, then the Black+Decker MTE912 3-in-1 String Trimmer, Edger, and Lawnmower is the product for you.
The innovative 3-in-1 design features a lawnmower attachment that can be attached or detached with the push of a pedal. Not only that, but it’s also remarkably lightweight and easy to use.
In addition, you can get other extras with it to further improve your experience, like gloves and safety goggles. And if you’re unsure about setting yourself up, there’s the option for expert assembly service.
Just something to bear in mind: this trimmer doesn’t come with a power cord. So you’ll need to get one separately.
- Easy to convert between modes, the lawnmower attachment can be switched in with the press of a pedal
- Lightweight and easy to use
- 6.5 amp motor is great for cutting thick grass
- Plenty of optional add-ons to improve your experience
- Power cord is not included with the product
- Mower function is only practical for smaller yards
Is It For You?
If you have a small yard with a grassy lawn that you want to keep neat and tidy, the multi-purpose functionality of the Black+Decker MTE912 has you covered. The inclusion of the mower attachment makes trimming, edging, and mowing quick and easy. And the optional extras like gloves, safety goggles, and an expert assembly service are just the icing on top.
- 3N1 DESIGN – Electric mower easily converts to string...
- 6.5 AMP MOTOR – Supplies the ideal amount of power when...
- GEAR DRIVE TRANSMISSION – For tackling tougher, thicker...
4. PowerSmart PS8213 (Best Value For Money)
We chose the PowerSmart PS8213 as our best value for money pick. This electric trimmer comes with some great features, such as the automatic feed spool, which replaces the string as it wears down. So this means you don’t have to keep pulling it through while you trim.
It also comes with two replacement spools, so there’s no need to worry about running out of string straight away.
While heavier than other models at 8.2 lbs, this trimmer is still easy to use. In fact, it’s easy to set up and get going straight out of the box.
- Comes with 2 replacement spools
- Telescopic handle allows for easy adjustment and reaching tricky areas
- Auto-feed spool replaces string without the hassle of doing it manually
- Easy to assemble right out of the box
- Works better for smaller yards
- Heavier than other models at 8.2 lbs
Is It For You?
If you’re looking for a better deal on your trimmer, the low price of the PowerSmart PS8213 coupled with the extra spools of string will keep your yard looking pristine without needing to splash out.
The telescopic handle, automatic feed spool, and simple assembly are great if you’re not an experienced trimmer user or don’t have much time for yard maintenance. Overall, this trimmer is an excellent choice for people with smaller yards.
- 2-IN-1 STRING TRIMMER: The string trimmer can be converted...
- HASSLE-FREE ELECTRIC POWERED: 120V, 4Amp Corded Electric...
- AUTO FEED SPOOL SYSTEM: The cycle string trimmer is equipped...
5. LawnMaster GT1644 (Best For Heavy Duty)
The LawnMaster GT1644 boasts a 10 amp motor that can easily cut through all types of weeds and grass. It comes with a shoulder strap included, which is handy to help alleviate the weight during more extended use.
This powerful trimmer is ideal for larger lawns and tough overgrowth, making it the perfect addition to any yard tool kit.
With a long handle and a 16-inch cutting width, you’ll be able to clear out overgrown grass and weeds in no time. In addition, the LawnMaster GT1644 is simple to assemble and easy to use and is perfect if you have a large yard or a lot of grass to trim.
- Beefy 10 amp motor cuts through any overgrowth with ease
- The long handle is adjustable and ergonomic
- Comes with a shoulder strap to alleviate the weight during prolonged use
- Extra-wide 16-inch cutting width is perfect for trimming large amounts of grass
- Simple to assemble and easy to use
- The straight and rigid handle can be tricky to control
- Heavy, without the strap it can be hard to use for prolonged periods
- The strength of the motor isn’t adjustable and can cause uncomfortable vibration
Is It For You?
The sheer power of this beast is ideal for clearing out overgrowth and built-up weeds. If you have a larger yard that’s prone to getting out of hand, the LawnMaster GT1644 will make a quick and easy job of it. And on top of its powerful motor, the 16-inch cutting width means you can trim a larger area in less time.
- POWERFUL MOTOR: 10 Amp Motor
- 16-INCH CUTTING WIDTH: With dual-line 0.08-inch auto-feed...
- ADJUSTABLE ASSIST HANDLE: With comfort-grip main handle for...
6. Black + Decker BESTA510 (Best For Heavy Duty)
The Black+Decker BESTA510 is a perfect choice for larger yards. A strong 6.5 amp motor powers this electric trimmer, and it’s the lightest model on this list, weighing in at just 3.19 lbs.
You can switch it to an edger by simply rotating it, while the automatic feed spool will keep the string going through your whole lawn.
Plus, there are plenty of optional extras like additional spools and a leaf collection bin that will help you manage the grass you trim.
So with all these benefits, the Black + Decker BESTA510 is an excellent choice for more extensive lawns.
- 6.5 amp motor and automatic feed spool keeps you going for longer
- Easy to convert to a wheeled edger – simply rotate
- Incredibly lightweight, weighing only 3.19 lbs
- Plenty of optional extras like replacement spools and a leaf collection bin to help manage your garden
- Automatic Spool Feed can cause safety issues if damaged or not attached correctly
- Not strong enough to tackle thick weeds and overgrowth
Is It For You?
The Black+Decker BESTA510 is perfect for trimming larger lawns. Its robust 6.5 amp motor will cut through grass and weeds with ease, while the lightweight and easy-to-manage design will allow you to keep going until the job is done.
On top of that, the additional add-ons make managing your yard simple. Extra spools make sure the job gets finished, and a leaf collection bin will help you avoid any unsightly piles of grass and weeds. Overall, this corded electric trimmer is a great choice if you have a larger yard that needs some love and care.
- Automatic Feed Spool (AFS) technology of the edger/trimmer...
- The 6.5 amp motor and POWERDRIVE Transmission of the grass...
- 2-in-1 trimmer/edger with wheeled edge guide - just rotate...
So What’s the Best Corded String Trimmer for You?
The Best Overall
If you’re looking for a string trimmer that is easy to use, has excellent performance, and is sure to get the job done, the Craftsman CMESTE920 is the best choice for you.
Its 6.5 amp motor will clear out all but the thickest of weeds and grass without any hiccups, and its versatility as both a trimmer and edger is sure to leave your yard looking perfect. And with two extra spools, there’s no risk of running out any time soon.
Need Something A Bit Stronger?
The LawnMaster GT1644 is your best option if your yard needs a bit more work. The 10 amp motor and 16-inch cutting width will trim any weeds and grass you point it at, while the included strap makes prolonged use less of a trial.
Have A Large Yard?
If you have a large yard, the Black + Decker BESTA 510 has got you covered. Its light weight won’t be a burden when trimming a bigger yard, while all the available add-ons will help you manage your waste and make your experience much easier.
When buying a corded electric string trimmer, there are several things you should look out for to ensure you’re getting the best product for your needs.
So here are some top tips to bear in mind when making your choice:
Firstly, what trimmer you should get depends on the type of yard you have. For example, it’s no use getting a trimmer that works best for smaller yards if you have several acres of land to manage.
Also, you should consider where the sockets in your house are and whether the trimmer you choose is compatible with extension cables. So then you will know if you can reach the whole lawn without any trouble.
Secondly, different jobs call for different tools, and it’s the same with managing your lawn. So if you have a yard with grass up to a fence or wall, a trimmer that can easily switch between trimming and edging is a great way to clear out those close edges.
Models like the Black + Decker MTE912 3-in-1 are a great example of this versatility, allowing you to switch between three different functions with ease. Depending on what you’ll be using your trimmer for, it’s a good idea to see what will work best for your yard.
If you have a large, overgrown yard, you should look at a trimmer with a powerful motor that won’t have any issues chopping through weeds and thick grass. So if your yard needs a major clearing out, a trimmer with a smaller, weaker motor just won’t cut it.
Consider what you’ll need from your trimmer, and make your judgment based on the capabilities of each model. You want something that won’t get bogged down by the first weed it comes across.
When you buy your trimmer, you’re going to want it to last. So choose one that has all the features you want, and this will ensure you get the most use out of it.
If you have a specific feature in mind (say, a telescopic handle), keep an eye out for a trimmer with that feature. Also, you can sometimes purchase other add-ons as an extra with some models, so you can have everything you need in one package.
Not only will this ensure you get the most out of your trimmer, but some features and extras will also cut down on the number of tools you need, saving you both space and money.
Finally, even the most experienced gardener needs to consider their safety when trimming their yard. So make sure that the trimmer you buy is safe to use.
In particular, your trimmer will always need a safety guard to prevent the string from hitting you while the trimmer is running. Also, you should look at the type of string the trimmer uses and the way it is attached to avoid any malfunctions with your trimmer.
Additionally, some of the products on this list have the option to be purchased with safety gear like goggles or gloves. So if you don’t already own some, it’s a good idea to get these too.
Frequently Asked Questions
What Strength Motor Do I Need?
The answer to this depends on what your yard looks like. For example, if you have a large yard full of long grass and thick weeds, you’ll need a stronger motor to take on the task.
On the other hand, if your lawn is smaller and just needs regular touching up, a less powerful motor should be enough.
How Often Should I Change The String?
The more you use your trimmer, the more often you’ll need to change the string. Some trimmers have an automatic spool feed, which ensures that the string is constantly fed through as it’s required.
If you choose a trimmer without an automatic spool feed, you will need to change the string manually. Also, check your trimmer’s specifications to make sure the length of the string is appropriate.
Is An Electric String Trimmer Better Than A Gas One?
If you’re trying to decide between an electric trimmer vs a gas trimmer, there are benefits to both kinds. Generally, gas trimmers tend to be more powerful and get the job done quicker.
However, electric trimmers don’t require you to top up the gas tank whenever it runs dry. Plus, you don’t have to worry about maintenance or starting problems, buying and storing gas, or having to mess around with mixing gas and oil as you would with a two-stroke trimmer. Also, electric trimmers are better for the environment as they don’t release any fumes.
So now that we’ve presented you with the best corded electric string trimmers on the market, the only thing left now is for you to choose which one is best for you.
In conclusion, this list is a great starting point for almost every situation and proves that no matter what type of lawn you have or what you’ll use your trimmer for, there’s guaranteed to be something perfect for you.
Steve is a passionate gardener and particularly loves growing vegetables. His interest was spurred at eight years old while helping his parents take care of their extensive yard, lawns, and vegetable garden. Over the years, his childhood interest grew into a lifelong passion. Learn a little more »
Last update on 2022-08-07 / Affiliate links / Some images and data from Amazon Product Advertising API